Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Setup a VPN?
I have a roadsalesman that wants to enter orders from Home, instead of driving here to enter them.

I understand that if I were to get him a mobile version of Rpro, I would have to do it as another store (with hardware key).

I realize this might not be the best place to ask, however, I am asking Smile

We have as our main a Dell Server with Windows 2000 server OS. I am really comfortable setting up settings/software etc. What are the neccesary steps?

Thanks, Wayne
What settings did you have to configure? How do your remote computers connect to the router?
actually you could do it as a polling remote. No key required as long as you arent on version 6 or lower.
Quote:Brett R (1/30/2008)
actually you could do it as a polling remote. No key required as long as you arent on version 6 or lower.

What type of WS setting is required? I have used INF some to take a "copy" on the road for sales shows.

What are the restrictions and benefits of a polling remote?
Quote:Brett R (1/30/2008)

How do you configure Retail Pro on the Main and Remote to setup this access.

I am looking to set up this style of access. Does anybody else have a form of remote access setup? My main needs are remote order entry and inventory look up for a traveling salesman.

I have my VPN connection running and I can connect with an internal IP from home/road.

Thanks,
Wayne
You might now even need a VPN if you are using 2000 server and if you do have a static ip just use remote desktop connection It is easy to set up. (remember it does not come with the os you need to download from Microsoft)

On the other hand if you have multiple location and go fancy I use sonic wall they are easy to set up and support remote vpn client. There is a vista version but still needs development.
Ok, but after the VPN connection is setup, then what?

How do you connect to retail pro without a hardware key? I tried running Rpro8.exe but it was killer slow.

Brett has mentioned setting up a remote polling workstation...but what settings are needed?
If you use remote desktop you do not need a key. The user directly will log in to the server and will start retail pro there locally.
Hello, you can try the LogMe In program (www.logmein.com) its free and you actually are working in the PC that is in your Office, you just use Internet to connect and use it.

Download the a file and make your account, this file has to be installed on the computer that has access to Retail Pro (The one in the office LAN). And in the remote PC (The one on travel) you just need to have Internet abd a web browser.

Bye.
Terminal Services is probably your best option. We use terminal services for our warehouse to communicate with the main very effectively. Just make sure they close down the session properly or you'll have to clear the W/S locks daily.
Hey, you can use PureVPN which is paid and works on any device e.g. Android Phone, iPhone, Windows, Mac, Linux and others. Use this simple guide to setup PureVPN on any device https://support.purevpn.com/purevpn-tuto...ion-guides

If you need PureVPN subscription, get it here https://www.purevpn.com/

Good day!