Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RP9 32-bit / 64-bit Questions
Hi, I have a couple of technical questions I have been unable to answer through documentation or Google Search.

1. Running Windows Server 2012 64-bit > is it ok to install RP9 32-bit? I found in one document where it stated if you run 64-bit OS on the server you must run 64-bit RP9 on the server. We currently have 32-bit running on the server. Can this cause performance issues? Any configuration/settings to consider?

2. Running 32-bit RP9 client on 64-bit Windows 7 > We currently have Windows 7 32-bit with 4GB RAM and 32-bit RP9 client. We are considering an upgrade to 64-bit Windows with 8 GB RAM but will still have 32-bit RP9 client. Will this increase performance even with the 32-bit client?

3. Is it possible to run 64-bit RP9 on the server and 32-bit RP9 on the client side? And further, is it possible to run a mix of some registers on 32-bit RP9 and some on 64-bit RP9?

Our move from Retail Pro 8 to Retail Pro 9 has created serious performance issues on our POS registers and we are looking for the causes and solutions.

Thanks for any feedback on this.
1. Running Windows Server 2012 64-bit > is it ok to install RP9 32-bit? I found in one document where it stated if you run 64-bit OS on the server you must run 64-bit RP9 on the server. We currently have 32-bit running on the server. Can this cause performance issues? Any configuration/settings to consider?

The host machine should match the install. If you have 64bit PC, v9 64bit install should have been used. The database itself is 64 or 32bit.

Id imagine it could definitely cause issues. I have not attempted this personally.

2. Running 32-bit RP9 client on 64-bit Windows 7 > We currently have Windows 7 32-bit with 4GB RAM and 32-bit RP9 client. We are considering an upgrade to 64-bit Windows with 8 GB RAM but will still have 32-bit RP9 client. Will this increase performance even with the 32-bit client?

Why would you still have the 32bit client? You would need to reinstall everything to make the switch to 64bit win7.

3. Is it possible to run 64-bit RP9 on the server and 32-bit RP9 on the client side? And further, is it possible to run a mix of some registers on 32-bit RP9 and some on 64-bit RP9?

Yes it is possible and depends on how the install is done.

Our move from Retail Pro 8 to Retail Pro 9 has created serious performance issues on our POS registers and we are looking for the causes and solutions.

I would recommend getting a Retail Pro dealer involved with this as quite a bit sounds like items we have hit and handled in Retail Pro for years and there may be several quick items to change.

Couple notes:

v9 will not perform as fast as v8 in several areas. It is not the same product and DB.

Your v8 users need to use quick filters, and filtering and forget about sorting the inventory as in v8.

If you deployed v9 on 5 year old or more hardware that v8 was running, I would definitely expect some speed issues.

We generally deploy on I7s with 8GB min of RAM and do not recommend using 32bit at all.
I'm confused now after talking to a Retail Pro provider.

1. Our Server is Windows 2012 64-bit and the Oracle Database is running 64-bit.

2. I have now been told (since my original post) that Retail Pro is only 32-bit and there is no 64-bit server software or client, and that it is just the Oracle database that runs at 64-bit.

3. I have wiped a register and installed Windows 7 64-bit and upgraded the RAM from 4GB to 8GB, but the RP client install is still 32-bit since I was told by the RP provider there was no 64-bit client. Predictably there was no performance increase.

Yes, the registers we are using are old, and they were running Retail Pro 8 (with no apparent issues). But with Retail Pro 9 there is a definite performance hit. Some of our registers will not support a 64-bit OS anyway, but some will.

So my question now becomes, is there truly a 64-bit Retail Pro client, or just a 64-bit Oracle database. I have to say, finding technical specs is difficult and support is virtually non-existent.
I think that you are hitting a couple major issues, your dealer should be able to help you with and make recommendations on getting better use of the system and I will defer to them.

In my experience, upgrading to v9 requires a hardware refresh.

Requires a GB network, and should be 64bit only.

And the biggest issue on end user is training in differences in v8 to v9 as I mentioned earlier. You need to use filters everywhere, and quick filtering. When you go into receipts, you should be set to WTD or MTD and not undefined, and that goes for any document areas.
Maybe the vendor is getting confused on what product you're referring to.

Speaking of RPRO 8, yes, only 32 bit exists. Moreover, it still uses some 16 bit processes for polling, so if you use it as a remote you will need a 32 bit OS. If it's a stand-alone Main and no polling is done at all, it can run even on 64bit OS.

RPRO 9 came with 2 distributions, 32 and 64 bits, don't know if nowadays 9.3 is still the same or not.

Generally speaking on a 64 bit OS, 32 bit applications can run fine but won't benefit from the available system resources.

V9 embeds an ORACLE database, and that can grow huge, depending on the size of the business. Running a 32bit edition of that, it will mean that oracle won't be able to deal with more 2 GB of memory, even if the server has 8. And this for sure can raise performance issues. For what i've seen, for V9 64bit is almost mandatory.